1. The MA/MSc/MCom/MCJ degree Programme shall of two years duration and be divided into two modules viz. PREVIOUS and FINAL, examinations for which shall be held annually.
2. Each PREVIOUS and FINAL module shall consist of requisite courses/papers prescribed as per syllabus.
3. A candidate will be allowed to appear in the previous examinations only after completion of the academic yearin which he/she is enrolled. Subsequently after completion of two academic years, the candidates will be allowed to appear in the Final examinations.
4. The candidates for the MA/MSc/MCom/MCJ degree shall be examined for the number of courses/papers specified for each course as mentioned above.
5. Each course/paper in the Previous and Final will carry the requisite Credits prescribed as per syllabus for each subject.
6. The year end examinations shall carry 80% weightage for each course/paper and Home Assignments/Sessional examinationsshall carry 20% weightage.
7. The year examinations shall be of three-hour duration for each course/paper. The Home Assignments/Sessional examinations shall be conducted by the Coordinators of each subject.
8. In order to pass/clear a course/paper in a subject, a candidate must secure at least 35 marks in each course/paper. On passing/clearing of a particular course/paper, it will be credited to the individual accounts of the candidates.
9. A candidate will be awarded MA/MSc/MCom/MCJ degree only after passing/clearing all the courses/papers prescribed for the degree in the syllabus and acquiring the total number of Credits, required for award of such degree.
10. A candidate securing 60%(sixty) or above of the aggregate marks of the Previous and Final Examinations taken together shall be placed in the First Class.
11. A candidate securing 45%(forty five) or above but less than 60%(sixty) of the aggregate marks of the Previous and Final Examinations taken together shall be placed in the Second Class.
12. A candidate securing less than 45%(forty five) of the aggregate marks of the Previous and Final Examinations taken together but cleared/passed all the courses/papers and acquired/required number of Credits shall be declared as SimplePass.
13. A candidate for the MA/MSc/MCom/MCJ degree must pass/clear all the courses/papers prescribed for a particular subject within a period of maximum four academic years from the date of his/her enrollment in order to get the said degree.
14. For any programme offered by the IDOL, a candidate need not clear all the couses/papers in one examination. His/her credits for each course/paper cleared will be carried over to subsequent year.
i) The examinations for the M.Sc.-IT/M.C.A. degree shall be held half-yearly as per schedule. The examinations shall be in semesters. Even Semester and Odd Semester examinations will be held separately. There are no betterment schemes.
ii) The candidates for the M.Sc.-IT/M.C.A. degree shall be examined for the number of papers specified for each course as mentioned above.
iii) The minimum pass marks required for passing a semester examination shall be
35 percent in each theory paper separately.
40 percent in each practical paper separately,
35 percent and 40 percent for theory and practical part respectively in case of a paper consisting of both theory and practical part.
iv) The candidate will be awarded degree as:
1stClass who secures 60% and above in aggregate of all the semesters
2st Class who secures 40% and above in aggregate of all the semesters
Simple Pass who secures 35% and above in aggregate of all the semesters
The Standing Committee of the Academic Council of Gauhati University, in its meeting held on 22/10/2011 resolved to introduce BA & B. Com (General course) from the academic session 2012-2013. Students can pursue B.Com & BA general course with MIL (Assamese, Bodo, Nepali, Alt. English), English, Political Science, Education, Philosophy, Economics and History under Semester system.
The syllabus and the curriculum for the distance mode course will be the same as those for the regular courses.
Students will appear for the end semester examination for those courses offered under IDOL along with regular candidates in their respective colleges. Question papers and syllabus will the same as those for the regular courses.
Gauhati University affiliated colleges and IDOL study centers (affiliated to other Universities) will enroll students at the beginning of each semester along with other regular students in the prescribed application form provided by IDOL.
The total course fees (study materials, counseling and assignment) for the BA General course shall be Rs. 2000/- & for B. Com Rs. 2500/- per semester excluding the Registration & Examinations fees.
College will organize counseling classes/personal contact programme for those students offering courses through distance mode as per norms set by IDOL (10% of the total hours dedicated for regular course)
Students offering courses/subjects through distance mode shall be required to Submit one/two home assignments during the semester as a part of their internal evaluation in lieu of the internal examinations, seminars required for the regular courses.
The examination forms for appearing in the semester examinations shall be sent to the controller of Examinations, Gauhati University as per schedule notified by him.Notwithstanding anything mentioned above, if any confusion arises during the Course of the semester or examinations/evaluations, the decision of the Vice-Chancellor be final.